I love, love, love, love, love toasted sesame oil. It's my go-to, put-it-on-everything, food-fixer-upper. I'm particularly keen on Flora Health's lightly toasted, nitrogen-flushed version. It has a full, richly rounded and nutty flavor that gracefully dances a tightrope of sweet and savory.
The smoke point is mid-range (350˚), so while I wouldn't use it for high-heat sautéeing or searing, I do bake with it and use it as a dressing and sauce. I've outlined a few ways I have eaten Flora's sesame oil over the last few weeks, to prove to you how versatile it really is.
- Drizzled on a corn tortilla with banana, avocado, honeycomb, black sesame seeds, and sea salt
- Swirled into plain yogurt
- As a marinade for tempeh (I added curry powder, fresh ginger, shallot, and a little brown sugar)
- In a salad dressing with lime zest and juice, creamy peanut butter, sea salt, and cumin
- As the base of a sauce for roasted chicken (Whisk together with barley miso, a touch of maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar)
- Baked into banana bread
- Poured liberally on dairy-free banana ice cream
- Massaged into raw kale with a pinch of kosher salt to tenderize it
- Added to the dregs of a tahini jar to thin it out
- Added to garlicky stir-fried grains just before serving.
What's your favorite way to use sesame oil?
Thank you to Flora for making wonderful products—and for sponsoring this post!